If you’re thinking of taking on a couple of home DIY projects over the following short while, make certain to make safety one among your top priorities.
With another few weeks of lockdown heading our way, many South Africans are going to be on the lookout for things to try to do around the house to assist in passing the time. DIY projects are definitely an excellent way to improve your home while making the time fly by regardless of how big or small you go! For input on which projects are fine to tackle yourself, inspect which projects you’ll consider tackling on your own versus those best left to the experts. All plumbing related services should be handled by The Plumbers In Johannesburg.
That said, before jumping into any project, it’s important to consider your safety seriously – nobody needs a visit to the ER at a time of nationwide crisis. Researching the right safety measures and requirements are vital for whatever project you’re close to tackle. With this in mind, here are a number of the foremost common causes behind DIY accidents with attention on how best to avoid them:
BE RESPONSIBLE WITH LADDERS
If we think hard, we’re sure to know someone who has fallen off a ladder whilst embarking on a DIY project. For obvious reasons, ladders are often the cause behind most DIY injuries as people don’t seem to understand (or care) the way to safely use them. Instead, they gamble and demand on standing on the very top rung, trying to drill that last hole. Or they struggle to balance one ladder on top of another, or worse, on top of something else altogether. Suffice to mention ladders are often an excellent DIY tool, but only used with the respect it deserves. Always remember that falling from any height is often dangerous, and proper ladder safety should be observed in the least times. Here are some basic ladder safety tips that you could consider:
Ensure that your ladder is usually placed on a stable, level and non-slip surface. When placing your ladder, remember the four-to-one rule: for each four feet (approximately 1.22m) you’ve got to climb up, move the bottom one foot (approximately 30cm) faraway from the wall.
- When climbing a ladder, maintain 3 points of contact with it i.e. both hands and a foot or both feet and a hand, in the least times.
- Lock all A-frame ladders when open.
- Do not stand on the highest two rungs of a ladder.
- Never put a ladder ahead of a door unless it’s locked beforehand.
AVOID MISUSING TOOLS OR EQUIPMENT
Another common cause behind DIY accidents is the ignorant use of tools and equipment. If whatever project you’re close to starting requires you to use a tool or machine you haven’t spent until now , make certain to read the manual first and familiarise yourself with how it works and what safety requirements are needed. Always confirm you’re using the proper tool for the work at hand and use sense when handling potentially harmful machinery. For example: – Unplug your drill before fitting any parts. – Avoid wearing any loose clothing or jewellery which may get caught in machines accidentally. – Don’t use any tools in damp conditions. Never pull out the fitting to stop an apparatus as opposed to utilizing the on/off switch.
Try not to TAKE SILLY OR UNEDUCATED RISKS
It’s imperative to know that although you want to, doesn’t mean you should! Frequently mishaps can happen when we recognize what we’re doing, and as referenced prior, we should think about leaving certain occupations to the specialists! All things considered, it’s fitting to be careful while handling any DIY ventures that includes power or gas. On the off chance that you are certain that you can securely DIY something, don’t face any pointless challenges. For instance, consistently switch off the mains when taking care of anything electrical. A couple of other basic security contemplations to stay away from any danger of injury include:
- Failing to perform any electrical installations when remaining on an aluminum stepping stool.
- Wearing shoes with elastic soles or remaining on an elastic tangle when working with power.
- Not contacting any gas funnels or working near them to keep away from unintentional harm and additionally a hole. Recollecting gas is regularly imperceptible until a possibly hazardous development has happened.
Continuously DRESS THE PART
With regards to keeping yourself truly sheltered, never bargain! Now and then, DIY related wounds can be brought about by unanticipated dangers so constantly dress in light of wellbeing regardless of the job needing to be done. Here is a gathering of the nuts and bolts to self-insurance while setting out on a DIY venture:
- Shield your eyes by wearing defensive glasses at whatever point taking a shot at ventures that make flying garbage, such as welding, or take into account presentation to hurtful synthetic compounds.
- Make certain to utilize tight-fitting glasses or eyewear that adjusts to the forms of your face for greatest security.
- Ensure your body and your skin by wearing the proper garments. Anything that is excessively free, also uncovering, or conceivably combustible could put you at a danger of injury.
- Wear gloves or a veil if working with any synthetic concoctions or when carpentry or sanding.
On the off chance that you plan on investing a portion of your residual energy in lockdown participating in DIY, make certain to truly think about your security before getting that screwdriver! Recall that no activity merits gambling pointless injury, so do your examination and focus on security safety measures regardless of what you get up to. By the day’s end, you need to be left with a feeling of achievement, not a specialist’s bill.